Karl Walentin, Ph.D.
SE-103 37 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: + 46 8 787 04 91
Fax: + 46 8 21 05 31
Detailed CV [pdf]
Macro, empirical macro, labor economics, financial economics; in particular financial frictions.
- Ph.D., Economics, New York University, 2005.
- M.Sc., Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, 1999.
Karl Walentin has been working at the Research Division of Sveriges Riksbank since 2005 and received his Ph.D. from New York University the same year. His research concerns macroeconomics with a focus on financial issues. In his recent work he has estimated DSGE models with financial frictions on Swedish data in the household sector (with Peter Sellin), and in the corporate sector (with Lawrence Christiano and Mathias Trabandt) respectively.
- "Housing Collateral and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism", Scandinavian Journal of Economics 2013, forthcoming. [pdf] Computational Appendix [pdf],
- Discussion of "Capital Injection, Monetary Policy, and Financial Accelerators" by Hirakata, Sudo and Ueda, International Journal of Central Banking, 2013, forthcoming.
- "Introducing Financial Frictions and Unemployment into a Small Open Economy Model", Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 35(12), pp. 1999-2041, 2011 (with Lawrence Christiano and Mathias Trabandt). [link]
Also available as Sveriges Riksbank Workifng Paper No. 214 [pdf] Appendix [pdf] Computational appendix [pdf] Code for running model [zip]
- “DSGE Models for Monetary Policy Analysis”, Handbook of Monetary Economics, Vol 3A, 2010, edited by B. M. Friedman and M. Woodford. (with Lawrence Christiano and Mathias Trabandt).
- "Earnings Inequality and the Equity Premium,"The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics: Vol. 10 : Iss. 1 (Contributions), Article 36, 2010. [link].
- "Block Kalman filtering for large-scale DSGE models", Computational Economics, Vol. 33(3), pp. 277-304, 2009 (with Ingvar Strid). Working paper version [pdf] [Code, zip]
- "Business Cycle Implications of Mortgage Spreads", [pdf] March 2013.
- "Refining Stylized Facts from Factor Models of Inflation" (with Ferre De Graeve) [pdf]. October 2012.
- "Involuntary Unemployment and the Business Cycle", (with Lawrence Christiano and Mathias Trabandt). Sveriges Riksbank Working Paper Series No. 238 [pdf]. Technical appendix [pdf] Revise and resubmit at Review of Economic Studies. June 2012.
- "Expectation Driven Business Cycles with Limited Enforcement". Sveriges Riksbank Working Paper No. 229 [pdf]. August 2012.
- "Financial Frictions, Investment and Tobin’s q", (with Guido Lorenzoni). Sveriges Riksbank Working Paper No. 208. Revise and resubmit at Review of Economic Studies [pdf]. October 2007.
- "Asset pricing implications of two financial accelerator models" [pdf]
- "Vad bestämmer bankernas utlåningsräntor?" (with Magnus Karlsson and Hovick Shahnazarian), Ekonomisk debatt, 2009, No. 7, (in Swedish). [pdf]
American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Monetary Economics, Journal of Economic Theory, AEJ Macroeconomics, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Journal of Financial Stability, Review of Economic Dynamics, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, Macroeconomic Dynamics, Journal of Macroeconomics, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Computational Economics, B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, Economics Letters, Applied Economics Quarterly, Manchester School.