1680 - First building of its own

The Bank of the Estates of the Realm (Sveriges Riksbank) moved into Södra Bankohuset at Järntorget in the old town of Stockholm. The building, which still stands, was designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder.

This was the first building in northern Europe intended solely for banking. The Riksbank conducted its operations here until 1906. After this, it moved to the island of Helgeandsholmen, into what is now the Riksdag building. Since 1935, Södra Bankohuset has been a state-owned historic building and is today watched over by K. G. Bejemark's sculpture of Evert Taube.