Who can be a RIX participant?
The following institutions may be accepted as participants in RIX:
- Credit institutions (for a definition, see the Rules and Regulations for RIX and monetary policy instruments)
- Investment Firms
- Clearing organisations
- The Swedish National Debt Office
The following conditions must be met for an institution to be accepted as a participant in RIX:
- The institution shall meet the requirements regarding capital adequacy and large exposures applicable in the institution's country of domicile.
- Credit Institutions, investment firms and clearing organisations shall be subject to adequate supervision by an authority or other competent body in their country of domicile (home country).
- The institution shall have an appropriate organisation, necessary systems and routines for risk management, secure technical systems, in particular with respect to protection against codes that have been created with the intent to harm IT-systems.
- The Institution shall have valid legal status and the capacity to assume with binding effect the rights and obligations ensuing from the Rules and Regulations.
- The Rules and Regulations shall be valid according to the law of and enforceable in, the institution's country of domicile.
- It can be assumed that the Institution will comply with the Rules and Regulations in applicable parts as well as other rules which apply to its activities.
To become a participant in RIX an institution must moreover:
- Have at its disposal the technical equipment required to take part in RIX and have access to a functioning link via SWIFT's FINCopy and via RIX Online.
To become a monetary policy counterparty an institution must moreover:
- Be a credit institution that is domiciled or has a branch in Sweden.
To become a primary monetary policy counterparty an institution must moreover:
- Alone or together with another company in the same group have a share of the money and bond market that the Riksbank considers to be sufficiently large.
- Report turnover statistics in government securities and housing bonds and other information assigned by the Riksbank
To become a counterparty in foreign exchange transactions the institution shall, in addition to all of the conditions for a counterparty moreover:
- Be a credit institution.
- Alone or together with another company in the same group have a share of the foreign exchange market that the Riksbank considers to be sufficiently large.
- In the interbank market on request quote binding market two-way prices in Swedish krona against the euro, spot, and against the US dollar, forward.
- Via Reuters or a similar information system show indicative prices in these currencies during normal opening hours in the market.
- Report to the Riksbank turnover statistics and other information requested by the Riksbank.