Carney, Liikanen and Powell to participate in the Riksbank’s 350th anniversary conference
News The programme for the Riksbank's anniversary conference on 25 May has now been confirmed. Speakers and panellists will include central bank governors, economists and academics from the entire world. Among others, Governor Mark Carney of the Bank of England, Governor Erkki Liikanen of the Bank of Finland and Jerome Powell, Chair of the Federal Reserve System, will take the floor.
In 2018, the Riksbank will celebrate its 350th anniversary. The anniversary conference, which will be held on 25 May, will mark the official celebration by the Riksbank and the Riksdag of the 350th anniversary of the Riksbank.
The purpose of the conference is to mark the anniversary and the Riksbank, to draw attention to the central bank, its history and its role now and in the future. The seminars on the day shall provide an opportunity for important discussions regarding the roles and tasks of the central bank in the past, present and future.
The conference will be by invitation only will be divided into two parts. The morning is devoted to a Swedish audience (and will be held in Swedish), with invited participants from the Riksdag, the Government, public authorities and the business sector. It will examine the role of central banks in society, how this role has changed over time and what challenges lie ahead of us. Speakers and panellists will include:
- Mette Bjørndal, professor, Norwegian School of Economics (NHH), and Board Member of Finanstilsynet (the Norwegian financial supervisory authority)
- Erkki Liikanen, Governor and Chairman, Bank of Finland
- Torsten Persson, professor, Institute for International Economic Studies, Stockholm University
- Irma Rosenberg, former Deputy Governor, Sveriges Riksbank
The afternoon is devoted to an international audience, with invited guests from central banks around the world and other international organisations. This part of the conference will be held in English and will begin with a presentation of the Riksbank's anniversary book "Sveriges Riksbank and the History of Central Banking". After that there will be a panel discussion concerning the role of central banks in the future. Participants will include:
In the book presentation:
- Franklin Allen, professor, Imperial College London
- Michael Bordo, professor, Rutgers University
- Barry Eichengreen, professor, Berkeley University of California
- Klas Fregert, professor, Lund University
- Charles Goodhart, professor, London School of Economics and former member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee
- Otmar Issing, professor and former member of the ECB Executive Board
In the panel discussion:
- Governor Mark Carney, Bank of England
- Agustín Carstens, General Manager, Bank for International Settlements
- Benoît Cœuré, Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
- Chairman Jerome Powell, Federal Reserve System
More information can be found in the conference programme.
Journalists will be able to apply for accreditation for the conference. A special invitation for this will be sent out. Questions about the conference can be addressed to the Riksbank's Press Office, telephone +46 8 787 02 00.