The Riksbank works on behalf of Sweden’s citizens for a strong and secure economy by conducting a monetary policy with price stability as its main objective and by promoting safe and efficient payments and a stable financial system. Since climate change affects the Riksbank’s areas of responsibility, long-term sustainability is important for the Riksbank. There is a sustainability committee at the Riksbank that coordinates and develops work on the basis of a sustainability strategy. The Riksbank strives to work systematically with sustainability in all its different activities. See The Riksbank’s work on sustainability.
Based on the sustainability strategy, the Riksbank shall take account of climate change and promote an orderly transition to a sustainable economy within the framework of its mandate. To achieve this, the Riksbank will
- work to ensure that its own operations gradually align with international agreements such as the Paris Agreement
- help to increase knowledge of the effects of climate change on the economy by contributing its own research and analyses
- take a sustainability perspective in its asset purchases and in the management of the foreign exchange reserves, while remaining within the framework of the Riksbank’s mandate
- promote increased transparency and reporting related to climate footprints
- promote regulations in the financial markets to reduce the risks climate change may entail for the financial system
- actively participate in various international networks and partnerships to help reduce the risks of climate change at a global level.